Theological Book Review
Work is now well in hand for the next edition, and it should be available within the next few weeks.
Theological Book Review (tbr)
Closing down notification
We are sorry to tell you that unfortunately we are unable to continue the Theological Book Review beyond early 2018, so the Journal, and this website supporting it, will cease publication around March 2018.
We have recently contacted all publishers asking them not to send us any more books, and of course will no longer request books from them. There will be some books already in the pipeline so it is worth looking out for them on the website, which we will continue to keep up-to-date so you know what is still available.
We are letting reviewers know as we send them emails. We are committed to publishing as many reviews as we can, and to trying to ensure that as many as possible of the books we have received are reviewed.
We have not yet decided what to do with any books remaining at the end of this exercise, but it is likely that we will send them to suitable libraries - not to private individuals. In fairness to the publishers we will ensure that they are at least 'listed' in the last issues of tbr.
If you are a subscriber, we will send you all remaining issues at no added cost to you; we have ceased to request subscriptions.
Information about tbr.
Tbr is edited by the Revd Professor Kenneth Newport. It has always been intended as a means by which clear, concise and authoritative reviews of the best theological scholarship could be made available, usually within 12 months of the book's appearance, to a wide readership. It is now in its 30th year.
Requests for books to review (from this website only) should be sent to Susan Blagbrough.
Books Available for Review (September 2017)
The following is a list of books that are currently available for review.
Reviews should be between 250 and 300 words. Since tbr prides itself on providing speedy reviews, reviews are normally due back within two months of the book being sent to the reviewer. Please ensure that you include in your review a clear brief indication of the academic level for which the book would be most appropriate. Please send completed reviews to Olga Davies (email: email@example.com) and copy them to us (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Reviewers are asked to note that we do not normally supply print copies of the journal to a reviewer whose work is appearing in it. We will be happy to email a pdf version of the journal on request.
When requesting a book, please give the address to which you would like it sent
- Abdallah, Amy F. Davis The Book of Womanhood
- Askeland, Harald and Ulla Schmidt Church Reform and Leadership of Change
- Azetsop, Jacquineau (ed.) HIV and AIDS in Africa: Christian Reflection, Public Health, Social Transformation
- Back, Sven-Olav and Koskenniemi, Erkki (eds.) Institutions of the Emerging Church
- Bazyn, Ken Soul-wrestling: Meditations in Monochrome
- Benz, Arnold Astrophysics and Creation: Perceiving the Universe through Science and Participation
- Beynon, Graham Isaac Watts : Reason, Passion and the Revival of Religion
- Bland, Dave Proverbs and the Formation of Character
- Brener-Idan, Athalya and Archie Lee (eds) Samel, Kings and Chronicles 1: texts@contexts
- Cabetas, Paloma Chiara Communitarian Way to Holiness: in the Light of John 17:11b-19
- Campbell, William S. Unity and Diversity in Christ: Interpreting Paul in Context : Collected Essays
- Carson, Marion L.S. Setting the Captives Free: the Bible and Human Trafficking
- Chung, Paul S. Postcolonial Public Theology: Faith, Scientific Rationality, and Prophetic Dialogue
- Cornwall, Susannah UN/Familiar Theology: Reconceiving Sex, Reproduction and Generativity
- Daniels, C. Wess A Convergent Model of Renewal: Remixing the Quaker Tradition in a Participatory Culture
- Dickerson, Matthew The Mind and the Machine: What it Means to be Human and Why it Matters
- Dragseth, Jennifer Hockenbery Thinking Woman: a Philosophical Approach to the Quandary of Gender
- Duerksen, Darren Todd Ecclesiastical Identities in a Multi-Faith Context: Jesus Truth-Gatherings (Yeshu Satsangs) among Hindus and Sikhs and Northwest India
- Elliott, John H. Beware the Evil Eye : the Evil Eye in the Bible and the Ancient World: Volume 3 : the Bible and Related Stories
- Florensky, Pavel Early Religious Writings, 1903-1909. Translated by Boris Jakim
- Frost, Christine Mangala The Human Icon: a Comparative Study of Hindu and Orthodox Christian Beliefs
- Gavin, John F. A Celtic Christology: The Incarnation according to John Scottus Eriugena
- Gericke, Jaco What is a God?: Philosophical Perspectives on Divine Essence in the Hebrew Bible
- German, Igal The Fall Reconsidered: a Literary Synthesis of the Primeval Sin Narratives against the Backdrop of the History of Exegesis.
- Gillmayr-Bucher, Susanne and Maria Hausl (eds.) Sedaqa and Torah in Postexilic Discourse
- Gorman, Heather M Interweaving Innocence: a Rhetorical Analysis of Luke's Passion Narrative (Lk 22:66-23:49)
- Gupta, Nijay K. 1-2 Thessalonians: a New Covenant Commentary
- Gustafson, Hans Finding All Things in God: Pansacramentalism and Doing Theology Interreligiously
- Hagelia, Hallvard and Markus Zehndar (eds.) Interreligious Relations : Biblical Perspectives : Proceeding from the Second Norwegian Summer Academy of Biblical Studies (NSABS), Angsar University College, Kristiansand, Norway, August 2015
- Harris, Sarah The Davidic Shepherd King in the Lukan Narrative
- Hayes, John H Interpreting Ancient Israelite History, Prophecy, and Law
- Hedrick, Charles W. The Wisdom of Jesus: Between the Sages of Israel and the Apostles of the Church
- Helm, Paul Faith, Form and Fashion: Classical Reformed Theology and its Postmodern Critics
- Herppich, Birgit Pitfalls of Trained Incapacity: the Unintended Effects of Integral Missionary Training in the Basel Mission on its Early work in Ghana (1820-1840)
- Higton, Mike and Mark Alan Bowland (eds.) Reading Faithfully: Volume One : Writings from the Archives : Theology and Hermeneutics
- Higton, Mike and Mark Alan Bowland (eds.) Reading Faithfully: Volume Two : Writings from the Archives : Frei's Theological Background
- Kuiken, E Jerome Van Kuiken Christ's Humanity in Current and Ancient Controversy: Fallen or Not?
- Kyle, Eric J. Spiritual Being and Becoming: Western Christian and Modern Scientific Views of Human Nature for Spiritual Formation
- Kimbrough, S.T. Radical Grace : Justice for the Poor and Marginalised: Charles Wesley's Views for the Twenty-First Century
- Lang, Uwe Michael Authentic Liturgical Renewal in Contemporary Perspective: Proceedings of the Sacra Liturgia Conference held in London, 5-8 July 2016
- Lassiter, Katharine E. Recognizing Other Subjects: Feminist Pastoral Theology and the Challenge of Identity
- Lee, David Contextualization of Sufi Spirituality in Seventeenth-and Eighteenth-Century China: the Role of Liu Zhi (c.1662-c1730)
- Lee, Gregory W. Today when you hear his voice: scriptures, the Covenants and the people of God
- Lee, Nancy C. Hannevi'ah and Hannah: Hearing Women Biblical Prophets in a Woman's Lyrical Tradition
- Lillevik, Raymond Apostates, Hybrids, or True Jews?: Jewish Christians and Jewish Identity in Eastern Europe, 1860-1914
- Magrath, Sue Healing the Ravaged Soul: Tending the Spiritual Wounds of Child Sexual Abuse
- McConville, J. Gordon and Lloyd K Pietersen (eds.) Conception, Reception and the Spirit: Essays in Honour of Andrew T. Lincoln
- McInerney, Joseph J. The Greatness of Humility: St Augustine on Moral Excellence
- Merkle, Judith A. Beyond Our Lights and Shadows: Charisma and Institution in the Church
- Miller, R.W.H. Dr Ashley's Pleasure Yacht: John Ashley, the Bristol Channel Mission and all that Followed
- Mills, Mary E. Jeremiah: an Introduction and Study Guide - Prophecy in a Time of Crisis
- Mong, Ambrose Dialogue Derailed: Joseph Ratzinger's War against Pluralist Theology
- Moyo, Fabulous The Bible, the Bullet and the Ballot Zimbabwe: the Impact of Christian Protest in Sociopolitical Transformation ca. 1900-2000
- Newlands, George Spirit of Liberality: Collected Essays
- Nielsen, Jesper Tang and Morgens Muller (eds.) Luke's Literary Criticism
- Obbard, Elizabeth Ruth My life - my prayer: the autobiography of St Teresa of Avila for everyone
- Pally, Marcia Commonwealth and Covenant: Economics, Politics, and Theologies of Relationality
- Potter, Dylan David Angelology: Recovering Higher-Order Beings as Emblems of Transcendence, Immanence and Imagination
- Radcliff, Alexandra S. The Claim of Humanity in Christ: Salvation and Sanctification in the Theology of T.F. and J.B. Torrance
- Robinson, David Soul Mentoring: Discover the Ancient Art of Caring for Others
- Root, Michael and James J Buckley (eds.) Christian Theology and Islam
- Rowland, Tracey Catholic Theology
- Sass, von Hartmut and Eric E. Hall (eds.) Groundless Gods: the Theological Prospects of Post-Metaphysical Thought
- Schindler, D.C. The Perfection of Freedom: Schiller, Schelling and Hegel between the Ancients and the Moderns
- Sirvent, Roberto Embracing Vulnerability: Human and Divine
- Uggla, Bengt Kristensson Becoming Human Again: the Theological Life of Gustaf Wingren
- Vainio, Olli-Pekka Disagreeing Virtuously: Religious Conflict in Interdisciplinary Perspective
- Wagenfuhr G.P. Plundering Egypt: a subversive Christian ethic of economy
- Webster, Robert (ed.) Perfecting Perfection : Essays in Honour of Henry D. Rack
- Wendel, Susan J. and David M. Miller (eds.) Torah Ethics and Early Christian Identity
- Working, Randal Carter The Visual Theology of the Huguenots : towards an Architectural Iconology of Early Modern French Protestantism 1535 to 1623
- Wright, Nigel G. Vital Truth: Convictions of the Christian Community
Publishing the abstract of your doctorate
We will be happy to consider publishing selected abstracts of reasonably current doctoral theses. If yours is appropriate to tbr and you would like it to feature in one of the last few issues please send it to Susan Blagbrough as an email attachment, in Word or as a PDF. Please edit it yourself to bring it down to say 200 words or so, and please confirm in the abstract when and by which institution it was given final approval. (It would not be appropriate for us to publish the abstract of a thesis still undergoing modifications.)