Overseas Opportunities for Hope Students
Are you enjoying your studies at Hope and life in Liverpool, but want something more? Would you like the opportunity to spend some time in another country as part of your University experience?
The International Hub can help you travel around the world. These pages will explain how you can spend a semester at a partner University studying for your Hope degree or volunteer on a Global Hope project in the summer.
In addition to these, your academic department might run International field trips or short placements. Ask your Tutors what opportunities there are. If you want to take on a work placement or Internship in another country, related to your course, the Hub may be able to help you access funding once you have secured the placement.
Here are five reasons why we think that you should go abroad:
- Once in a Lifetime opportunity: Exchange and Global Hope provides you with an opportunity to learn and live abroad at a time in your life when it is relatively easy to do it. You will make friends with people from all around the world and create wonderful memories that last a lifetime. They also provide a different perspective and approach to many aspects of life including to your studies and learning.
- New Experiences: Learning should be enjoyable as well as academically challenging and professionally rewarding. Exchange and Global Hope can provide fantastic life experiences within a supportive environment and create opportunities (professionally or otherwise) which can last well beyond the period overseas.
- Greater Employability: Research from around the world shows that studying or volunteering away from your home university can enhance your career prospects after graduation. Whilst overseas you can gain a range of professional skills which you may not have the opportunity to experience again. You will be able to draw on your experiences and include them on your CV which will help you stand out from your peers when it comes to applying for jobs or higher degrees. According to the Higher Education Funding Council for England's report "Attainment in higher education of Erasmus and placement students", students who study abroad also achieve higher salaries.
- Increased transferable skills: Employers look for skills outside of academic attainment such as: self-awareness, adaptability to situations and challenges, and a willingness to embrace different perspectives. Exchange and Global Hope can help you to gain not only these skills but also, language skills, understanding different cultures and life in a different country.
- Value for Money: Going on an Exchange is an investment in your studies and career, however the investment is not all your own. Student Finance provide their support through loans and grants as well as ERASMUS offering a supplementary grant to any students taking part in an Exchange inside of Europe. Research has also found that students who make the investment in an Exchange reap the benefits of increased salaries. Fundraising for Global Hope can teach you a lot of life skills and the University contributes to the funding of our projects, providing you value against the money you've raised.